Thank you 2013 SUP'n and RUN'n participants for making our first year a huge success! The ocean may not have cooperated but you all made the best of it and made it a memorable day. Next year will be even more fun! We'll announce the date and details in the next couple of months. See you soon!
What SUP Runners?
Is the beach your second home (or do you want it to be)? Do you enjoy being active with other fun people? Are you ready for some fun in the sun? If you answered yes to at least one of these questions then we have the perfect event for you! (If you answered no we're a little worried). This Memorial Day Weekend join Triumph Endurance Events at the first annual SUP'n & RUN'n!
What is it? The race will begin with a 3/4 mile stand-up paddleboard in the ocean followed by a 3 mile beach run. Whether you choose to participate as an individual or on a team of 2, this event is sure to be the most fun you have ever had on two feet (at the beach). As always, we will be providing you with a rock'n finish line party including music, food, drinks, and lots of high fives and way to go's. Don't miss out on this inaugural event that plans to become a Flagler Beach tradition!
Athletes will be sent out in waves of ~10-20 paddlers at a time. The first wave will start at 7:00a, the other waves will start 15-30minutes later as paddlers return to the beach. Participants have the opportunity to sign up for the wave they want, first come first serve. Bring your own board or we'll have one for you (for the first 150 registrants). Race day registrants will be placed in the next available wave. The race will be championship chip timed.
Register as an individual or as a relay team of two. For the teams, one athlete will do the paddling, the other will do the running. The runner will wear the timing chip. Maybe you don't run but you like to paddle...or vice versa. If you'd like to participate and don't have a partner let us know! You should also post on our facebook event page that you need a partner.
SUP'n & RUN'n Athlete Amenities:
- SUP'n and RUN'n tank tops for all registered athletes
- Finisher Medals for all SUP'n & RUN'n finishers
- Free food at finish
- Free drink at finish provided by Flagler Beachfront Winery! Wine cocktails...mmmm.
- Free stand up paddleboard clinics in March, April and May for all registered athletes!
SUP'n & RUN'n Awards:
Top male and female individual finishers. Top 3 male, female and mixed teams. Individuals: 3 deep in each 5 year age group. 14 and under, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70 and up.
All participants will receive a SUP'n and RUN'n event tank!
SUP'n & RUN'n & Open Paddle Registration Fees:
February 4th-February 28th: Early bird gets the best deal: $30ind/$45team
March 1st-April 26th: $40ind/$60team
April 27th-May 23rd: $50ind/$75team
Day of: $60ind/$90team
RUN ONLY division now open!! If you'd like to join the fun but want to skip the SUP come out for the 3 mile beach run or walk! The run/walk will be chip timed but the emphasis on this entire event if FUN! We'll give out awards to the top 3 males and females, no age group awards. Run will start at 7:30a.
Run/Walk Registration Fees
March 1st-April 26th: $15
April 27th-May 23rd: $20
Day of: $25
Run/Walk Only Amenities:
- SUP'n and RUN'n tank tops for all registered athletes
- Free food at finish
- Free drink at finish provided by Flagler Beachfront Winery. Wine cocktails...mmmm.
Friday, May 24th 3:30p-7:30p Ocean City Surf Company 509 N Oceanshore Blvd, Flagler Beach. Stick around for a free outdoor showing of Stand up Paddle Movie: The First Glide at 8p.
Race day, May 25th 6a-7a (7am wave needs to be ready to go by 6:45a)
Click here for our sponsorship package
Topaz Motel: call 1-800-555-4735 and use code mp2010. $70/night for participants. 1224 S Oceanshore Blvd.
Lazy Hours Motel: 386-439-3300 and mention the SUP and RUN event. $79/night. 1316 S Oceanshore Blvd.
- What if I've never paddleboarded? That's ok! We are beginner friendly. Not only will we give a quick lesson the morning of the race but we'll also hold clinics prior to the event, free to all registered athletes.
- What if the ocean is too rough for SUP'ing? We'll likely substitute a beach cruiser bike ride instead of paddling. We'll be praying to the Ocean Gods for calm seas!
- I want to participate but I don't want to get in the water. What are my options? Come on out and do the beach run/walk and stay for the party!
- Can I use my surf board, boogie board or kayak instead of a SUP? You sure can! We have an Open Paddle division for any other paddling besides stand up paddleboards. Sweet!
- Do I need to wear shoes? Shoes are not required. There will be a "transition" area to leave your running shoes if you want to paddle shoeless and put your shoes on for the run.
- If I'm coming from out of town where can I stay? See above for our two host hotels!
- Will there be lifeguards onsite? Yep. Flagler Beach's finest will be on guard during the event.
- What if I can't swim well? Don't fall in! But seriously, we will have lifevests for everyone that uses our boards. Bring your own lifevests if you're bringing your own board and plan on wearing it during the paddle.
- Can I walk the 3 mile run? You sure can! All levels welcome.
- I'd like to participate on a team but I don't have a teammate. Can you help me find one? For sure! Use our event page on facebook to find a partner. Post what you're looking for (paddler or runner) and we'll help get the word out!
- Will there be drinking water on the course? Yep. We'll have water at the start line, finish line and one water station on the 3mile run/walk course.
- When and where do I pick up my race packet? We'll have packet pick up Friday at Ocean City Surf Company and day of packet pick up early Saturday morning.
- Can spectators come? Absolutely! We'll have an area at the start/finish line for them to watch the fun!
EMAIL SENT TO PARTICIPANTS 5/13
Hola SUP'ers and RUN'ers!! We are less than 2 weeks away from event day, we figured you might want the low down on what's what. We're expecting close to a couple hundred participants, which will make this one of the largest stand-up paddleboard events in Florida!! How exciting! To ensure everyone has the most amount of fun possible and has a stress free event day we've put together some race week "good to knows" for ya. See below....
- If you've never gotten out on a paddleboard before and are signed up for the SUP division, we recommend you get on a board before race day. Contact Ocean City Surf Company for a lesson.
- Make sure you know what wave you signed up for. If you show up for a wave you aren't assigned to you most likely will not have a board waiting for you. Let us know ASAP (this week) if you're not sure what you signed up for when you registered.
- If you signed up for the run/walk only it starts at 7:30a. Be ready to rock by 7:15a.
- The paddleboard and open paddle course will be a triangular route. You'll enter and exit the water at the same spot. You'll paddle out to a buoy about as far as the length of the Pier, then you'll turn and paddle parallel to the ocean (whichever way the current is going) then you'll go around another buoy and head back in.
- All paddlers MUST bring their board and paddle all the way onto shore to the beach volunteers. Do not drop your paddle and board in the water and start running. You will be asked to go back and get it or you'll risk disqualification.
- If you end up exiting the water at any other place besides the enter/exit point, be prepared to walk your board back to the starting area. Do not leave it there and start running.
- We will have a "transition" area for you to pick up your running shoes.
- Packet pick up will be held Friday, May 24th 3:30p-7:30p at Ocean City Surf Company 509 N Oceanshore Blvd, Flagler Beach. If you want to pick up someone else's packet please bring a signed note from them. You can also pick up your packet race morning starting at 6a. Make sure you give yourself enough time to park, deal with any lines, get your number attached, board ready, etc. Our goal is to be prompt for every wave time.
- We will have onsite registration available Friday and Saturday at packet pick up IF it does not sell out before then.
- There is a lot of public street parking in Flagler Beach, park legally wherever you want. We're also working with a local church to use their lot...stay tuned.
- If you are part of a SUP and RUN team, here's how it goes: The first teammate will complete the 3/4 mile paddle. They will then exit the water, drop their board and paddle in the appropriate spot, run to their partner in the run waiting area, high five them and send them on their way. The runner completes the 3 mile run. Both the paddle and run will be timed, results will be based on the total time.
- Make sure you save your race number for the post-race party....your food and drink tickets will be attached to it.
- We'll do awards after the last wave and once results are calculated. We'll have a better idea of what time that will be next week once we see how late our waves will go.
5/23: A few tips to make race morning a little smoother:
*Make sure you check in with the paddleboard start line manager at least 15 minutes prior to your wave. She needs to know you are there and ready.
*If you are on a team make sure the runner wears the bib with the chip. Both the paddleboard and run will be timed but the runner wears the chip.
*There will be a shoe pick up area for those of you that paddle barefoot and then need to put shoes on. Make sure you know what your shoes look like and you don't take someone else's!
*Teams: There will be a runner waiting area where the transition will take place. The paddler needs to run up to the runner and slap hands before the runner can take off.
*Run only folks: Do not block the start line as you're getting ready, wait off to the side until the 7:30a start.
*Paddlers: Remember, if there are waves you are welcome to paddle on your knees....it is not a requirement to stand up. Do what is most comfortable for you.
*Be considerate of others in the water and on the beach. This is for fun! Don't let your competitive edge ruin anyone's fun.
*Open paddlers: There will be an area for you to drop your board/kayak and start running. The volunteers will then move your equipment out of the way. Do not drop your board/yak in the path of other athletes.
*Have fun! Hang out, listen to music, dance, join the limbo contest, get some sun, relax :)